TIMBAVATI PRIVATE NATURE RESERVE, SOUTH AFRICA
With a mission to celebrate Africa, explore wild places, inspire change and connect our people
Tanda Tula is a leader in conscious travel offering an authentic and connected safari experience at their luxury tented camps – Tanda Tula Safari Camp and Tanda Tula Field Camp.
TO LOVE THE QUIET
Tanda Tula, meaning to love the quiet, is inspired by the people and wildlife-rich region of the Greater Kruger National Park. This is a safari business that has been around for more than 30 years and thanks to committed owners and a strong team is regarded as one of the best camps in South Africa. Here you connect to a distinctly authentic and immersive safari experience in Kruger.
Tanda Tula Safari Camp is where it all began. As one of the original camps in the Timbavati it has a prime location overlooking a dry river bed and the style is reminiscent of an East African tented camp. With the owners passion for real, connected and wild experiences, Tanda Tula Field Camp was launched in 2014 and is the first of its kind in South Africa. It is a non-permanent explorer-styled tented camp with a dedicated focus on being a top, environmentally friendly camp in South Africa.
The Timbavati Private Nature Reserve is regarded as one of the top safari destinations in South Africa. The reserve comprises of individual landholders who together have formed a protected area of over 53 000 hectares (131 000 acres) of unspoilt natural wilderness adjoining the Kruger National Park in an open eco-system. The Timbavati is a highly professional and well managed reserve, that protects sustainable populations of many endangered species such as black and white rhinoceros, pangolins, saddlebilled storks, southern ground hornbills and many others.
Founded by Don and Nina Scott, Tanda Tula is an owner-run company alongside the Jackson and Mathebula families. This family feeling is ever present throughout each and every staff member and it continues on to every guest that passes through their doors
R 12 600
per person per night
Field Camp (Exclusive use):
R 33 600
per camp per night
Daily flights into Hoedspruit from Johannesburg and Cape Town. Daily scheduled flights into Timbavati Rockfig Airstrip.
45 minutes from Hoedspruit, 15 minutes from Timbavati Rockfig Airstrip
6+ years, children under 13 years are not able to participate in walking safaris.
Tanda Tula is better suited to families with children in their teens and older.
What we love
Proudly committed to Africa and sharing this passion with all guests.
explore WILD PLACES
Protecting habitats and keeping wild places for wild animals ensures an authentic safari experience.
Telling Africa’s story in a new and honest way inspires guests to be part of a conscious journey and movement of change.
Connect OUR PEOPLE
Real relationships and new friendships between the team and guests at Tanda Tula.
The impact of your stay
Tanda Tula has always been committed to strengthening communities, empowering individuals and conserving wild spaces. Through responsible business practices and people-facing programs, they enable change immediately and provide growth for years to come. Tanda Tula are focused on community development and conservation.
Their community development programs are largely associated with education, but also provide support for small business development, the establishment of non-governmental organisations (NGOs) and encouraging environmental awareness. Through support from guests they contribute to various important projects in the Timbavati and Greater Kruger National Park.
Every stay contributes through:
- When staying at any of the Tanda Tula camps, you contribute towards the Tanda Tula Education Foundation and the Greater Kruger National Park conservation initiatives in the Timbavati Private Nature reserve.
- Knowing that responsible tourism is the foundation upon which Tanda Tula’s conservation efforts, community programs and research projects have been built.
- Contributing R 150 (2021) / R 165 (2022) per person (all ages) per stay to the Tanda Tula Foundation.
- This contribution made by each guest goes a long way in helping make the scholarship program truly sustainable. Tanda Tula’s vision is to assist with educating the next generation and provide them with the knowledge to build a stronger future.
- Paying R 400 (2021) / R 460 (2022) per person (all ages) per night Conservation Levy.
- 100% of this fee goes to the Timbavati Private Nature Reserve and directly supports the Greater Kruger National Park conservation projects including anti-poaching and security, as well as sustainable development for communities.
- Over and above the direct contributions made by guests, Tanda Tula supports the Timbavati Wildlife Protection Programme through bed night revenue. This anti-rhino poaching initiative is focused on effectively detecting and deterring poaching incursions into the reserve. Trained and dedicated field guides spend their lives patrolling and protecting rhino and other endangered species in the Greater Kruger area where they are under immense threat.
- Furthermore guest revenue is allocated to camera traps at Tanda Tula which help track & monitor the leopard population for Panthera, the only organisation in the world devoted solely to wild cat conservation.
- Finally, every stay at Tanda Tula contributes to a monthly fuel donation and feedback on any endangered ground-hornbill sightings for the Percy FitzPatrick Institute of African Ornithology researchers.
TIMBAVATI PRIVATE NATURE RESERVE
Tanda Tula Safari Camp
Shaded by majestic trees and overlooking the Nhlaralumi riverbed, the 12 spacious tents each have their own private deck with uninterrupted views of the wilderness. Each tent is complete with en-suite bathroom and outdoor shower.
The atmosphere is what makes this tented camp one of the most loved in South Africa. There is an exceptional sense of connection between the people of Tanda Tula and they live by their motto of creating real relationships and new friendships.
Tanda Tula Safaris Camp offers fantastic walking opportunities, as well as 4×4 safari activities with highly qualified guides and trackers, many of whom have been with Tanda Tula for over 15 years. The Timbavati is recognised for its low human impact, all lodges in the area coordinate their game viewing activities according to strict controls which ensure the sustainability of the bushveld and sensitivity to the wildlife making for an authentic and unspoilt experience.
SEASONALITY: Open all year
CHILDREN: 6+ years
TIMBAVATI PRIVATE NATURE RESERVE
Tanda Tula Field Camp
“Treading softly on the surface of the earth” is a foundation principle of everything that Tanda Tula stands for, and a principle that is echoed throughout each element of the Tanda Tula Field Camp experience. This camp has evolved to meet the growing requirement in the market for privacy, exclusivity and immersion into the wild in one of the few remaining private wilderness areas in South Africa.
Tanda Tula Field Camp is a unique safari experience unlike any other. Consisting of four custom designed tents, each with en-suite open-air bush bathrooms (hot water bucket shower and an eco loo) and a communal mess tent. The camp caters for between 4 and 8 guests on an exclusive-use basis only. Guests are hosted by some of the safari industry’s leading iconic guides who accompany them on an extraordinary journey of exploration and adventure.
Field Camp does not have wi-fi or electricity but operates on solar batteries for charging purposes.
SEASONALITY: Open 1 April – 31 October. Minimum stay 3-nights.
CHILDREN: 6+ years, by Kruger Park regulations children under 13 years are not able to participate on a safari walk and must be looked after by an adult in camp.
Receive 20% off accommodation for any stay booked within 30 days of travel.
VALID: Throughout 2021 and 2022, excluding Festive Season
Safari Sandwich & Island Unwind
We call this our "slam-dunk" combination as it offers fantastic diversity, easy access and is available all year round. It is also well suited to couples and families alike.
There are two daily flights into Hoedspruit from Johannesburg, and one daily flight from Cape Town.
In addition, there are daily scheduled charter flights from Johannesburg to Timbavati Rockfig.
45 minutes’ drive from Hoedspruit Airport and 15 minutes’ drive from Timbavati Rockfig Airstrip.
Tanda Tula complies with well-considered SOP’s to provide the safest possible environment for guests and staff while ensuring a truly authentic experience.
PCR testing can be managed at Tanda Tula for guests requiring this for international return flights.